Saturday, May 05, 2007

NICE, NA?

"Na" is the South African version of "eh" and our high-as-a-kite Rastafarian guide on the short cruise we took joked that's how the costal town of Knysna got it's name. We've been having a great time, but I have writer's block again so I will let Kathryn describe it.

So I am officially sunburnt, shocking I know. It is sad that my combination of norwegian, scottish and swedish blood could not stave off the sun any longer. Though perhaps I should blame the 5 hour ocean fishing excursion where I for sure thought I would be ok if I did not put sunscreen on my legs. Anyways now I am walking around another beautiful ocean town during a wonderfully sunny day and I am covered from head to toe in order to stop the burning. I am an idiot.

During our ocean fishing we managed to catch a few fishes that we could keep, and a ton of little baby fishes. I am going to say I caught the biggest fish although Jens did catch the prettiest one (he is not so proud of that title and he would dispute that he caught the biggest one).
(Jens says: I caught a massive sand shark but Kathryn won't let me count it because it's not edible.) Today we went on a cruise of the knysna ocean port it was pretty cool. There was still fog coming off of the bay so, as jens says, it was very "evocative". The shore is dotted with multi-million dollar homes and rich people swimming and kayaking. It is quite the place. Today after I drag Jens shopping (I am being so nice we are only going for an hour, and after almost two weeks we have yet to even really step into a store) (Jens: nooooooo!!!!), we are going to drive to Port Elizabeth (PE). Tomorrow we are going to go on my first game drive at Addo Elephant park. I am looking forward to finally seeing some real wild animals.

Oh yeah before I finish :GO SENS GO!!


Finally, if you want to read about our possible near-mugging, check the "comments" on my previous post with the pretty pictures.

5 comments:

Filth- Man said...

Game drive was a success. We spotted mongoose, jackal, duiker, bushbuck, warthog, hartebeest, strich,zebra, kudu, lion, eland, buffalo and elephant.

Kathryn had an exciting time as we navigated through the herds of oh-so-close elephants, one of which was not too keen on us sharing his personal space. "DRIIIIIIIVVVE you STUPID MAN!!!"

Today we are in PE trying to find a bus to Vryheid.

Unknown said...

I do not believe I said that. It was more like "Jens I do not believe that elephant likes us, we should probably move." I would also like to mention that I was the one that spotted the lion. I am glad I cleared that up.

Filth- Man said...

You should have heard the "frantic encouragement" aka yelling... both times!

(Kathryn denies the yelling)

Anonymous said...

What in the world is a strich?

Filth- Man said...

it's much like an ostrich, only incorrectly spelled