Saturday, August 12, 2006

Hello, Internet!

So, I've finally caved. I've resisted the urge to blog for quite a long time because, quite honestly, it seems quite narcisstic to me. Who am I to assume that the entire internet wants to know what I am doing, how I am feeling, what I think about George Bush? However, I have finally been convinced, not because I have overcome that thought or because I have noble ideas the world simply must know, but because of two much simpler reasons: laziness and asking for money. I am, for at least part of the next year, going to South Africa and doing volunteer work there. This means that a) my family and (perhaps some of) my friends want to know what's going on, and I need to let them know and b) I need money. A blog seems just as convenient as mass e-mails for communicating the mundane details, and hopefully exciting stories with those who care. Also, since I may be looking to raise sponsorship for myself or for whatever chaitable cause I end up working for, it is nice to have something concrete to show people and direct them towards. Hence, bloggage!

FAQ (or "frequently imagined questions")

Q: WHAT DO YOU DO ANYWAY?
A: Well, I'm volunteering in Africa... before that: I recently graduated from University with a Bachelor's of Education with a major in science and a major case of cynicism regarding bachelors of education. I also wrestled for the varisty team. Most of my jobs have involved shovels- I was a tree planter and now install irrigation systems. My family is South African and I have lived there for 2 years, visited multiple times, and just keep going back. Africa is a mess, which is probably why I love it.

Q: FILTH-MAN?
AL I think it sounds funny. Besides I'm kinda messy.. and most of my jobs involve dirt... and I led a "no utensils" club and a barbarian camp... and I don't wash my clothes too often... or cut my hair... my nails are nice and short though, wrestlers hate getting scratched. The name does not mean "morally filthy man" or "emotionally disgusting man"!

Q: WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN AFRICA?
A: Soon, I hope to publish a post entitled "what I am doing in Africa"... so far it's still up in the air. I hope to become involved in prison ministry, as well as volunteer work in schools.

Q: MINISTRY: THAT SOUNDS SUSPICIOULY RELIGIOUS?
A: Yes, it is. Christian, in fact. I go to a Bretheren church- a self-sustaining,evangelical church. You can expect to read at least some Christian stuff on this blog. However, while my trip will involve Christian ministry, it is not a church trip. I am planning and travelling by myself.

Q: SO, YOU'RE ASKING FOR MONEY?
A: Yes, I am. While I will be able to pay for much of my trip with money I am making as we speak, I could definitely use sponsorship. The details of my asking for money will be, um, finalized when I actually figure out what exactly I'm doing, and hence, how much money it will take. Any sponsorship I recieve will go towards one of the following: paying for my personal food, accomodations and transportation; contributing financially to the organization I am working with, or assisting those I am working with. Many of the missionaries and aid workers in Africa are very poor themselves and rely on donations to survive. If you are some random person who happens to stumble on this and think "hey, I want to send this guy money", well, I will post an email adress for you to contact me shortly. More likely is that if you are think of sponsoring me we have already discussed it and I have asked you to look at my blog. In that case, contact me in whichever way is easiest for you.

More questions.. well I don't know.. post your comments and I will reply to them.














No comments: