Thursday, August 31, 2006

Random Thoughts

In honor of "Random Camp" at Crowsnest Lake Bible Camp, where I was recently a counsellor, here are some random thoughts...

Man, this blogging stuff is hard. I don't want to be one of those guys who writes down every mundane detail of their lives and exepects others people to care, but nor do I want to be one of those people who have blogs on the internet that never get updated and basically just sit there collecting technological dust.

It is now time to start wrestling season again, and for the first time in forever I will not. It feels wierd to be retired. It feels strange to be in miserable shape. I got to do learn some submission grappling at camp (I ran a "battle option" with a ju-jitsu guy) and man, I want to get back into it, or maybe give ju-jitsu a try... All the times I sat in the sauna, lips dry and bleeding and still not on weight, all those times I got off the mat, head hanging low in defeat, when I eplained for the thousandth time that my black eye was caused by a head butt and no, it's not allowed and yes, people do it anyway. when I ran my millionth set of stairs, I dreamed of this moment. Now it kinda feels wierd... While I didn't quite go out on top (in fact I went out throwing to my own back), I did medal in my last tournament- the Greco National Championships.. and that'll have to be enough for now. New rules Greco, by the way, is equal parts exhilerating and pure terror. "Here, grab me around the waist and pick me up while I stand there"...
















When I go to South Africa, I'm going to catch a huge fish. A shark or a swordfish or a tuna. I've had it with all these people coming up to me and telling me how they caught a 30 lb salmon or a 100 lb halibut and whatnot, makes it hard to feel proud of the stupid lake fish I catch (except the 10 lb pike I caught with my hand, I will boast of that one forever) so it's deep-sea fishing time. By the way, all you people out there with a huge fish in one hand and a scale in the other, I caught giraffes once... wonder what that weighs:)
















Barbarian Camp pictures are now on the internet. Here's the link... http://www.crowcamp.ca/gallery/photo_thumbs.asp?catID=9&subID=80


If you're into wrestling, here's a link to watch a ton of cool matches on the internet. If you look through them, there's some Olympic champs and stuff going at it.
http://www.crowcamp.ca/gallery/photo_thumbs.asp?catID=9&subID=80


Finally, I'm very self-concsious of the fact that anything I write down can be read by the entire internet, including my mom, so yes deeper, more substantial thoughts do go on in my head but I am still figuring out how to write down personal and controvertial stuff without getting myself into trouble.

And apparently, in Australia, the word "filthy" means "filled with hot girls!" Take it as you will.

2 comments:

Krista said...

So Jens, I thought I'd drop a "hello" since I found your blog and there aren't many comments. I liked reading your barbarian camp summary, I'm glad you two did that camp, so suited. Anyways, I'll be up in Edmonton soon, maybe I'll run into you or something.
Have a good one.

Filth- Man said...

Hey Kris

Barbarian camp indeed lots of fun. Enjoy Edmonton.