Wednesday, November 15, 2006

India Report 3

I have a personality clash with Indian culture, I think. Not just the man-touching, which I wil refrain from mentioning, except right now. Indian hospitality (or at least that which I have experienced) is all about doting on one's guests, giving them your finiest food, drink and location, ensuring their comfort and giving them gifts. I feel uncomfortable without my own space, my own time, my own (as in, bought by only me) stuff. The fine food is amazing, of course, but it does wreak havoc with my plan to get back into wrestling shape. Ahh well, it is foolish to complain about being treated like a king. Especially in a place where so many have nothing. So I guess I will enjoy the lavish hospitality.

Today we went shopping, which I deplore. Specifically, we went Indian garb shopping. The way to the store was travelled by auto-Ricksaw, basically a cross between a golf cart and a tuna can. My mom wants me to mention that the streets are even crazier in an auto-Ricksaw- I entertained myself by touching the occasional bus as it went by. The Indian garb store, called "Venus" was populated by no less thast 11 workers, most of which rush to help you put on clothes (there is no privacy when changing... note to self, wear more underwear next time). The girls bought a bunch of Punjabi suits, and I got some sort of black-and-gold man-cloak. The grinning shopkeepers ensure me I look like a prince. I'm thinking "Haloween", but it really is a very nice man-dress.

I am- still- too tired to do written justice to the children's home. Also, I am kinda paranoid to write too much detail about someone who can easily read it.... for now, we live on a compound with a Reverend, his (older) family, some household helpers, and about 40 kids. The rest live in a seperate "children's home" which we will visit tomorrow. So far our work had not involved the kids directly; rather, we are helping to create DVD's and letters for present and potential sponsors, so more children can be adopted. The home has the space but not the money. A lot of our work involves transcribing "Indian" English into "Western" English... example: "so and so was menstruating constantly. Then God gave her a womb. She is now 9 months pregnant." beomes "So and so was unable to concieve for a long time, but now God has granted her a child".

Sorry about the lack of pictures, they were almost uploading but then my computer quit. Maybe next time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Jens, Estelle and Anja,

Sure enjoyed your blogs so far, Jens. Keep it up. We will be praying for all of you. Wish I was there! Missed you at Life Group last night - some lack of commitment there!

Love, Kath

Filth- Man said...

Thanks for the prayers, Kath. That means a lot. Ya I was gonnna fly back for Life Group, but I missed my flight:)