Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Get Out... and Stay Out!

Thought I'd share a couple of good meetings I had... The first involved our prison program, where I challenged 4 inmates point-blank to share their plans for staying clean once they get out. There's just too much peer pressure to stay out of gangsterism with no plan. We discussed moving to a new environment, getting and keeping a job, possibilities for working with NPO's, and techniques for avoiding temptation. It was great to see them really think about what it will take to build a new life for themselves.

We also got the dreaded question "what if my gang comes after me?" This is no paranoia... an ex-con was recently shot to death the day he was released. The best I could do was tell them "you're life will also be in danger if you're involved in crime. You may as well try to start a new life"... Easy to say, hard to practice, it's not my butt on the line. How many of these guys will actually stay clean? I have no idea. Going back is just so easy.

I was asked if I could pick up a murderer, released on Thursday, every day and bring him to the YMCA for volunteer work. I'm told that he's changed, but he wasn't in my group and I'm somewhat worried. Dunno if I'll do it. I guess my faith is weak, my car just seems so hijack-able.

The Vice Principal of Groenvlei school gave us, not only permission but enthusiastic suggestions and a promise of co-operation so we can start painting rooms with the students. (Are you listening, other SA administrators? When someone wants to help for free you say friggin' yes!) Project could go as early as next week. I hope it causes less gong-show than the doorknobs did. Incidentally, the doorknob problem seems to be solved; we combine the shiny handles and bar on "new" locks with the locking mechanism on stronger "old" locks to create one functioning entity. (By "we", I mean "me". Apparently you can lead a caretaker to step-by-step instructions, but you can't make him do unsupervised work.)

If anyone's into prayer, I would really appreciate some, both for the prisoners of Pollsmore and the students of Groenvlei trying to make a change for the better.

9 comments:

Filth- Man said...

For those wondering (there were at least 2)I've tentatively decided not to drive the ex-convict around.

Anonymous said...

That seems like a sensible decision.

Unknown said...

I am glad you can start painting. It is a lot harder to steal and wreck a paint job.

Filth- Man said...

That's the plan Kathryn, though the kids are masters of graffiti.

Annonymous, I agree, though I do feel a bit cowardly about it.

BTW I placed 1st (freestyle) and 2nd (greco) at the Western Province Open today, which is less impressive than it sounds because I only had one oponent for each, a former high school SA champ. Scores were (0-4, 2-4) and (6-0,
3-0). Stupid Greco.

Anonymous said...

very useful article. I would love to follow you on twitter.

Anonymous said...

hi there everyone. I'm actually into shoes and I had been looking for that meticulous brand. The prices due to the fact that the velcros are approximately 180 dollars on every site. But finally I base this site selling them for half price. I really like these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will definetly purchase those. what is your opinion?

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

good morning everyone. I'm honestly into shoes and I have been searching as far as something that meticulous brand. The prices seeking the velcros are all over 210 pounds on every site. But for all I found this locate selling them for the benefit of half price. I in reality love those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will definetly buy those. what do you think?

Anonymous said...

hello friends. I'm actually into shoes and I was digging allowing for regarding that particular brand. The prices seeking the shoes are around 300 pounds on every page. But finally I bring about this site selling them as a remedy for half price. I absolutely want these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely buy them. what can you tell me about these?