Friday, January 26, 2007

Bible Stories

My Car is Registered!!!!!!!!!

And, until I have actual experiences in schools and prisons, a little story about theology:

Everyone agreed it was a tragedy. At 6:45 pm, a bomb exploded at the hotel where the Summit of Christian leaders was held.. Five men were killed, respected leaders all: a Catholic Bishop, an Evangelical Pastor who specialized in End-Times, a Televangelist who followed the teachings of Calvin, a Liberal Christian writer and a Jehovah's witness who had somehow been invited. Why they had been murdered was soon determined by police. Why, in the deeper meaning of the word, this tragedy had happened was discussed for years to come. Perhaps Satan, fearing unity amongst his greatest foes, had goaded the bombers on. Perhaps there was no underlying reason, and things had just turned out this way because some people are psychos. Perhaps God, in his infinite Wisdom, had deemed it time to call them home. Or perhaps, he was simply sick of their bickering.

The five men's eyes slowly opened, or more accurately re-appeared, for their faces has been melted by the heat of the blast. When they saw again, however, their bodies were whole. The writer, whose hours hunched over a screen had not been kind to his vision, suddenly saw clearly, without glasses. They looked around in wonder. They stood on some surface- solid, by the feel of it, but it was unseen in the mist. The mist was thick below at ground level, but as you looked up it faded to a sky of brightest blue. Music, beautiful and bizarre, reached their ears, and a lovely smell- one that can not be described in words- reached their nostrils; or perhaps, their sense of smell itself had been heightened, like that of a wolf.

“Where are we?” the writer said. It was a simple enough question. They tried to think things through. A clap of sound, a flash of sudden light, unbearable heat- and then this. It was all very strange. For many moments, they stood and wondered.

“Heaven”, suggested the Calvinist. It was a good answer, he thought.
“Can't be”, the preacher scolded. “That can't possibly have been the rapture. We won't get to see heaven until the Second Coming of Christ.”
“Oh, you end-timers” scoffed the Calvinist. “You obsess about the obscure and disregard clear doctrine. Did not Jesus say 'today you will be in paradise with me'?”
“If we're in heaven, why is the Cultist here?”snapped the preacher, pointing at the Jehovah's witness, who was still a little stunned by the turn of events.

“A Jew of Jesus' time” offered the writer “would say we are in Sheol, the world of the dead, awaiting the final judgment..”
“At which time he-” the preacher pointed at the Witness again “will be cast into the :Lake of Fire!”
“What'd I do?” the man wanted to know.
“You rejected the free gift of Christ on the cross, you are not 'washed in the blood', you did not accept Jesus as your personal Saviour!”
“Yes, we ALL know that's how Jesus put it!” the Witness snarled back, dripping sarcasm. “How narrow can your mind get? Fool...”
“Watch it! Now you're really on the brink of hellfire!”

“If this is purgatory”, the priest wanted to know, “why is there no pain?”
“It's Sheol, not Purgatory! Purgatory is an invention of your church. You Catholics are all alike. Just wait until your share of plagues is added to you.”
The priest shook his head. “How you Protestants pretend to understand Scripture, while rejecting our Lord's explanations through the church will never cease to amaze me.”
“When I read, the Spirit tells me what it means!”
“The Spirit tells ME that you're an idiot!”
““You're a false teacher with a false gospel. Christ will tell you he never even knew you!”
The Calvinist chucked and shook his head. “Why God chose you lot before the beginning of the Earth I'll never know.”

That set off a whole new chorus of yells, which might have continued for ages of the ages, had not a pair of stronger, louder voices silenced them. There was shouting, load and raucous, but strangely joyous, mixed with the sound of cheering, grunting, and heavy thuds.They walked towards the sound, quiet and a little scared, and the backs of a multitude came into focus, standing in a ring, observing something in the center from which the shouting came.

“Father of many nations, is it? You'll soon see who your daddy is!
“You don't scare me, wait until I get a hold of your hair!”
“I killed thousands with a jawbone. You were scared of your brother!”

Squeezing themselves into the ring, overcome with curiosity, they saw two men, stripped to the waist. Both were wearing gloves, those small fighting gloves which protect your hand but don't pad your blows, as they rolled over and over on the ground, hitting and kicking and grappling, smiling all the while.

“You think you can take me? You could barely build an altar. I pulled down a temple.”
“You used the Lord's Spirit, that doesn't count. I wrestled against Him! Don't forget, I pinned the spirit of the Lord!”
“His angel...” muttered the preacher.

Apparently the hearing of the men was heavenly t0o, for the smaller one stopped- though his head was locked in a pair of monstrous arms- and tried to look up. “Let go for a sec, Samson... Sorry, what was that?”
“Don't you mean, you fought the ANGEL of the Lord? It said so in the Bible...”
“Oh, does it?” Jacob wasn't even breathing hard. Apparently fighting didn't make you tired in wherever-this-was. “the Bible didn't exist in my time, I haven't really read it. Guess I should though, wonder how I came off looking in there.”

“Never read the Bible?” all of them were aghast. “The Bible is the Word of God! His Revelation to Mankind! His one trusted source of Truth!”
“Oh, sorry, man.. Up here, it doesn't seem necessary.”
“You're telling me...” the preacher was still amazed... “that in four thousand years, you've never even bothered to look?”
He was a little sheepish. “To be honest, we keep pretty busy up here. Lately, we've been having a tournament of champions. Took me 3 weeks just to tap out David, you'd never guess how slick you get wrestling bears.”
“You know”, Samson put in, wiping a lock of hair from his face, “we've been getting a lot of Bible questions lately. Everyone who comes here talks about it. “
“Well, I'm sorry, God didn't give us lion-ripping power, he gave us his inspired Word!” more sarcasm. Samson just laughed. “Fair enough. I'll go see if Paul is busy. I understand he wrote the parts you guys read most.”

It took a while- or not, time didn't really exist for them- until Samson returned, bringing a man with him. This one didn't look like he would last long in the tournament of champions. He was short lean and slender like a runner, and his back was covered in scars. Each one shone a little, and you could tell he wore them proudly. He shook each of their hands in turn. “I'm Paul”, he said. “Pleased to meet you.”
“The APOSTLE Paul?”
He shrugged. “I suppose. What can I do for you guys?”

They had to think about it for a second. “Where are we?” asked the writer. It was, after all, the original question.

“In heaven, of course..”
“In the Kingdom of Heaven- you know, the one that starts on earth, or in Heaven Heaven, the new Jerusalem?”
“Do you SEE a new Jerusalem?” scoffed the end-times preacher.

Paul laughed. “John, John, John. I told him not to use those metaphors. People won't understand, I said. They take everything literally, I said. But no, John says, I just write down what I saw. Do you think I knew what the crazy creatures in Revelation stood for?”
The writer was used to being misquoted. “Poor guy.”

“Oh, I wouldn't feel too sorry for him”, Paul laughed. “You should have seen John tear into Matthew when he read his Gospel. 'How can you leave out the Entire salvation-through-faith part? You made it look like Jesus was all about good deeds! Heaven and hell based on feeding your neighbor, without a word about the prayer of salvation? John went on and on. Man, he's lucky Matt turned the other cheek!” Paul laughed. “All us Bible-writers get it sometimes. I get off easy, I think, I guess a “#1 Evangelist all-time” Crown of Righteousness makes people lay off a bit. Just James won't shut up. 'Don't forget works. You keep leaving out works. Faith without works is dead'.”

If they were aghast before, they were flabbergasted now. “You ARGUED? You guys disagreed?”
“Well, we were all inspired to God to write, but yeah, we all had our viewpoints, emphasised different things...”

The writer had been wondering for years. “Can you explain how the Bible was Inspired, please? I've always wondered. Did God dictate to you?”
“Of course he did, or the Bible would be just another book!”
“Inspired doesn't mean infallible!”
“Oh, wow, you really are a heathen!”
“Pull the log out of your own eye, buddy!”
“How about the other writers? Leviticus doesn't seem too special! And Song of Songs- are you kidding me, inspired erotica?”
“You ARE going to hell-” “I'm saved by faith, you dolt!” “You can lose your salvation, you know” “No, you can't” “Heresy, absolute heresy!”

Then they began to pepper Paul with questions.
“Did creation take place in 6 days?” “Is Evolution from Satan?” “Why were others punished for David's sins?” “Does hell have real flames?” “What's the unpardonable sin?” “Did you ever baptist infants?” “Why is gayness an abomination?” “Why couldn't the Jews eat pork?” “Does the rapture happen BEFORE or AFTER the millennium?” “Can women preach in church?” “What if they cover their heads?” “Why Must Catholics be so stupid?” “Is Jsus really the Saviour of ALL, or did you just kinda throw that in there?”

Paul sighed. A deep, heavy sigh. He raised his hands until they calmed down.

“I'll try my best to answer all your questions. Really, I will. But first, let me explain a few things.”
They were all ears. On earth, a Bible lesson from the Apostle Paul would have been a dream come true. What's more, they were all certain they would be proven right.

“In my time on Earth, I had many of the same problems you did. I was a Pharisee. An expert. I, too, struggled to understand my Scriptures. Songs of Songs? I didn't like that one much. Psalms? David praises the Lord for his protection in one, and cries out in fear the next. And the Prophets... ahh, yes, the Prophets. They were all over the place, stuff that happened lifetime, stuff fulfilled in Christ, stuff about the second coming. I knew the Prophets back-to-front, but I needed a voice from heaven to see they pointed to Jesus. Imagine that!”

“Of course, God gave me incredible knowledge afterwards, showed me the heavens and all that, taught me great mysteries so I could preach to the nations. That was my primary calling, after all. Those Books I wrote... letters, really... “Romans” to the church in Rome, “Corinthians” to those in Corinth, “Galatians”, ah yes, to those foolish Galatians. Still trying to do under their own power what God has already done. I was confident in my writing, of course, but I had no idea that God would use it shape our faith two thousand years later.”

He sighed again. “You guys realize that I wrote in Greek, right? We all have the gift of tongues now, of course, but if I gave you originals of my letters when you were still alive, you wouldn't understand a word. I tried- oh, wow, did a try- to put the unfathomable mysteries of God down in words people back then could understand. Frankly, I'm always amazed at how well you guys do now. Faith? Hope? Love? Eternity? Justice? Two thousand years of culture, two thousand years of evolving language, even those concepts don't mean quite what they used to in my time. If I was writing letters to the church in, say, New York, you bet I'd phrase things differently. I mean... how was I supposed to anticipate the Internet... man, would that have made my job easier. TV? Movies? Nuclear Bombs? Dating? Feminism? Hinduism? Liberalism? Even the Son was misunderstood, by His own friends, in His own time. What chance do I have?” He took a deep breath.

“I'm sorry, guys. You want Scripture? You want understanding? This is what I wrote: For now we see in a mirror, dimly, then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall understand fully.

15 comments:

Jacob said...

"I knew the Prophets back-to-front, but I needed a voice from heaven to see they pointed to Jesus."

"Even the Son was misunderstood, by His own friends, in His own time. What chance do I have?"

Excellent points.

Filth- Man said...

Thanks Jacob...

The newest "confusion" for me is being told of pretty miraculous religous experiences by Hindus. What does this mean? We should all worship Hindu gods? The Christian God is bigger, and more generous, and less Bible-only than we think? Hindu people are decieved by evil spirits? All religous experience is fake? Gaaaa, life is confusing.

Unknown said...

Here is an easy cop out...

If God made life so easy we could understand it, he wouldn't be God.

Which is why I embrace my ignorance on most subjects, opting for the loving God. Instead of taking my chances being with the whole judgemental "why did you not love as i did" part of it.

God can't be mad at me for being nice (right?)

Filth- Man said...

There's got to be some balance, I'm sure, between defending "truth" and recognizing difference of opinion. I'm not sure what the balance is... and it's much harder when truth is difficult to find.

Filth- Man said...

I wish I had read Ezekiel before writing this post. I read it today in church (the screaming in Afrikaans and in tongues was too much for me) and frick, is it wierd.

In between graphic descriptions of war and promises of final restoration, Ezekiel makes constant references to poo and calls Isreal a pot of stew, a dirty tampon, and (in the funniest verse in the Bible) a whore who "lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were as big as those of horses, whose emmisions where like those of donkey".

With all the sex, violence, and crude languages, Christians would be rushing to censor Ezekiel if it weren't in the Bible. Read it for yourselves!

SimonSays said...

Great post, loved reading it.

One thing, though... I was under the impression that the Gospels weren't actually written by their namesakes. Dictated perhaps... but weren't they not written down until decades, if not centuries after the Apostles' deaths?

Filth- Man said...

Hi Simon, nice to hear from you.

I am hardly an expert on Gospel writing. Many scholars believe the gospels were written roughly 60-70 AD,with Mark being the "earliest" and John the latest. Thus they were written by eyewitnesses, but not immediately.
Other, more liberal scholars probably dispute this.

Anyway, in this story(and in my religious beliefs in general)I make the assumption that the Bible writers are fairly accurate. I personally have not researched this a lot, though some other Christians have.

Jacob said...

I haven't yet taken a secular course in the NT, but from what I've heard, secular scholars tend to date the gospels a century or two after the Apostle's death. I couldn't tell you exactly why, but it's worth noting that as a rule, secular scholars don't consider the possibility of a text being divinely inspired. (I'm getting this from my secular course on the OT.) So often they'll say "this can't have been written before date x because the author couldn't have known such-and-such". Which is just fine, as long as they don't pretend that this argument proves that the text isn't inspired - that's just circular reasoning.

Having said that, I should mention that, at least in the case of the OT, there are often arguments for late-dating a text or doubting it's stated authorship that do not rely on circular reasoning, some of which seem reasonable to me. But I won't get into that here.

It's also worth noting that there is a long tradition in Hebrew culture of writing under the name of a famous, long-dead person (see the Apocrypha), and that the true authorship of a text didn't seem to be a big deal in the first century (see Jude's quote of "Enoch"). So questions of Biblical texts' authors and dates are more than just evil atheists' attempts to poke holes in the Bible.

Jacob said...

I'd love to hear about the Hindu miracles, Filth-Man. My practice is not to worry about the authenticity of religious experiences, but rather, the affect they have on people's lives. Anything that edifies, inspires, or compels people to love, I consider to be from God, even if it's not a "miracle" in the sense of being an alteration of the laws of nature. Conversely, I have a hard time believing that experiences that make people more dogmatic, judgmental, self-important, wealthy, etc. are from God, regardless of how "miraculous" they seem to be. Jesus seems to be more impressed with compassion than miraculous power. (Compare the two judgment stories in Mt. 7 and 25, or see this post).

So my short answer would be I think God (who is not a Christian, and is certainly misunderstood to some degree by every religious group and person, including those who wrote the Bible) is bigger and more generous and less Bible-only than we think.

Filth- Man said...

Thanks for the Scripture information,Jacob. I know some Christian scholars date the Gospels much earlier, but I don't know if that's a form of circular reasoning to prove divine authorship or what.

The Hindu miracles are friend-of-a-friend unfortunately, but they are both very honest people in the medical field. Bascially, they involve Hindus going into trances at worhsip sessions and doing wierd physical feats (coal walking and the like) the most impressive is sticking needles through their tongues, without leaving marks (which could be pretty easily checked up on aftrwards.

Some Bible scriptures seem to say that the "fruits of the spirit" (love, joy, peace and so on) come only from God, this anyone showing such things in their lives is, by defenition, God-influenced.

Your last paragraph is brilliant, that's what I was trying to get at im my story. Christians (and other religious people probably do to) think they can fully understand conpects like eternity, omniscience and the like from reading a book... no matter how divinely inspired the book is this seems like lunacy. The best we can do is try, and hope that God is more understanding than wrathful.

Finally, I'd like to get a good answer from someone as to how Matthey 25 and John 3- two of the classic salvation chapters in the Bible- agree with each other.

Jacob said...

Ya, I don't know precisely what evidence Christian scholars have for early-dating the Gospels. Of course, if you believe that God inspired a text, you can pretty much date it whenever you want. (So the answer to "why would the author write that" or "how could he know that" is always "God told him.") Again, this belief is just fine, as long as Christians don't pretend that the possibility of divine inspiration it somehow proves an early writing. I don't know if Christians have any solid, scientific arguments for early-dating.

Jacob said...

Reconciling Biblical teachings on salvation is not an easy task. I'm not convinced it's possible to do completely, but the best attempt I've seen is the understanding of "faith" and "belief " as something along the lines of trust, or faithfulness. So when Jesus says something like "believe in me", he doesn't just mean "accept some kind of theology about me", but "accept my teachings" or "model your life after me". I've been told that this is how the original hearers/readers would have understood it.

I think it's very interesting that Jesus told his followers to make disciples of all the world, not Christians (See Mt. 28:19-20, or this post). And for the first 60 or so years after Jesus' death, Christians were considered to be a sect of Judaism, both by themselves and others. I really believe that Jesus never intended to start his own religion, but rather, to spread love to all the people of the world. I think it would be just like him to give miracles to Hindus.

"God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him." 1 John 4:16

Filth- Man said...

I'm sure someone like Josh Mcdowell would have the evidence for early-dating the gospels in his writongs, but I have no idea how good his information or scholarship really is.

It is worth noting that a late-written Gospel isn't necessarily uninspiried either.

Your faith/belief thing makes sense, in light of jesus general teaching. He certainly wasn't impressed with superficial faith, and often told people do do things (ie sell all your posessions, feed the least of these, love each other ect) instead of "believe". So does this mean that people who don't adaquetely follow Jesus are going to hell? Hopefully not... Certainly salvation teachings are much more complicated than the simple "prayer of salvation = all done" formula you often get in church.

i have no clue whatsoever how God works, but I like to think Hw would agree with your second paragraph. (As in, that's how I would imagine a loving God thinks.)

John 4:16 is VERY interesting in light of standard salvation, or "relationship with God" teaching, as we all know that some non-Christians, or even atheists, are more loving than some Christians.

Anonymous said...

I have been following your conversation with interest. I like the following comment you made Jacob,
"Anything that edifies, inspires, or compels people to love, I consider to be from God, even if it's not a "miracle" in the sense of being an alteration of the laws of nature. Conversely, I have a hard time believing that experiences that make people more dogmatic, judgmental, self-important, wealthy, etc. are from God, regardless of how "miraculous" they seem to be. Jesus seems to be more impressed with compassion than miraculous power".

That brings me to the Hindu miracles of walking on coal etc. I certainly believe that these experiences are real and happen, but do they cause people to love more ot are they there to edify themselves?
I think we are mistaken to make the conclusion that a miracle proves that God has been working.
If we read Exodus 7:8-13, we see that God changes Aaron's staff into a serpent in front of Pharaoh. Then Pharaoh calls his wise men and sorcerers and they turn their sticks into many serpents. The sorcerers similar "miracle", was obviously not God-inspired. The first miracle did thus not prove that God is the right God because he does miracles, as God had a counterfeit, who could imitate this specific miracle. Significant is that Aaron's serpent ate the sorcerers serpent, which demonstrated that God has the final victory.

Esther

Filth- Man said...

Hey Esther...

The South African Charismatics would have a very neat theological answer for Hindu miracles: clearly they were done by demons (Satan's minions) in order to keep the Hindu believing in his false gods and blind them to the truth of Christ.

This could certainly be true... but then, what's to stop Satan from working miracles for a Christian in order to lead them along a wrong path somehow? It's a little bit of a cop out, though, to make everything you don't understand "from Satan" (I'm not accusing you of saying this, by the way) instead of considering the posibility that God might be at work in someone else's life.

Finally, I should add that I think most "miracles" (And the person who told me the Hindu story would emphatically agree) are not true supernatural orrurences; that is, they can be explained by physical or psychological laws.